Summer has arrived; temperatures are rising, kids are excited to be out of school and parents are doing their best to keep up with the new out-of-school routine. Our New Jersey toy stores know how important it is to have fun this summer, but we also want to stress the importance of safety! The Toy Industry Association has done a great job compiling some awesome tips for having safe summer fun that every parent should know.
Source: PR Newswire
- Pay close attention to the age appropriate guidelines on toy product packaging - Age labeling is a safety precaution and is based on children’s developmental skills and ability at a given age – and the appropriateness of the toy for that age.
- Make adult supervision a crucial element of outdoor play – Children are quick and inquisitive. They should never be left alone near water sources (pools, inflatable “kiddie” pools, beaches, etc.) … not even for a moment.
- Buckle children up with helmets, knee pads and other protective gear when playing with ride-on toys – Most parents are aware that protective gear (helmets, knee pads and arm pads) is crucial when riding a bicycle, but buckling up and protective gear is equally important for other ride-on toys, including tricycles, scooters, skateboards and skates.
- Keep young bodies protected from the sun and heat - Outdoor play areas should be covered to protect sensitive children’s skin from the sun’s intense rays. Children should wear hats, 100% UVA sunglasses, and a broad spectrum sunscreen (UVA and UVB protection) when playing outdoors.
- Organize and store toys to prevent slips, trips and falls - Large, plastic bins with lids are perfect for organizing and storing smaller toys; bins should be marked by name so that toys for children of differing ages can be easily separated.
For the full article, click here.
We hope that you find these tips to be as helpful as we have. As we mentioned earlier, we 100% support having fun and taking in the joys of summer, but do so with caution when necessary. Be sure to teach your children about the dangers of misusing toys or being in certain situations without adult supervision. If you’re looking for new summer toys, educational toys or party gifts our toy stores in NJ are your one stop shop for all things fun! Above all, enjoy your summer and keep cool!